Every September, the city of Danao celebrates the Karansa Festival, an activity that showcases the city’s past and present heritage and culture. The festival also commemorates and honor Sto. Thomas de Villanueva, the patron saint of the city.
In line with the festival, the local government of Danao City also launches the Karansa Festival Photo Contest, a photo competition for amateur and professional photographers. Below are the guidelines for this year’s competition.
1. The photography contest is open to all amateur and professional photographers who will register with the KARANSA Committee during the prescribed registration for KARANSA PHOTO CONTEST 2019.
2. Official entry forms / Registration for photo contest participants will open September 1, 2019 at the Danao City Tourism Office at 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
3. Registration is from September 1, 2019 and will be close by September 15, 2019 @ 9:00 in the morning. Regular Registration Fee is Five Hundred Pesos (500.00)
4. Deadline of registration will be on September 15, 2019, Sunday at 9:00 A.M.
5. Two (2) methods of photo entries will be considered this year:
- Film Category – any analog camera film size / format can be used as long as the final entry is a printed 5R photo.
- Digital Category – digital cameras that are capable of taking raw format files, APS format cameras are also eligible as long as the final entry is printed 5R photo.
6. Registration fee covers a competition ID allowing access to most Karansa 2019 activities and five (5) entries of 5R (5”x7”) photographs. An additional fifty pesos (P50.00) will be charged for every additional entry. No limit to number of additional entries per contestant. Each participant will be issued an ID number that will be used in identifying the Photographers upon submission of the entries.
7. In case of disqualification, registration fees and entry fees are not refundable.
8. Photo Contest Categories – all activities involving:
KARANSA FESTIVAL 2019
- Contingent – actual competition of participants of the Karansa Festival 2019 Grand Parade and Karansa 2019 Grand Ritual Showdown on September 15, 2019. Picture must be of a group of at least 3 people dancing and not of a solo dancer.
- Solemn Procession and “Libod sa Kaow” – photos taken on September 5, 2019 at 4:00 A.M. and September 15, 2019 for the solemn procession.
- Sidelights – these are human interest pictures taken in the parade route on Karansa Celebration week.
- Festival Queen – Photo to be taken while subject is dancing during Karansa 2019 STREET DANCING COMPETITION on September 15, 2019 at the Parade route.
DANAO LANDSCAPE AND SCENERY
No stock Photos are allowed. All entries must be taken during the period of Karansa Festival 2019.
9. Deadline for Submission of Photo – entries will be on Friday, September 27, 2019 at 5:00 P.M.
10. Final entries shall be submitted as un-mounted 5”x7” Photo Print. In must be in an envelope with the corresponding Karansa Festival 2019 photo competition ID number only. All 5”x7” (5R) Chemistry-based print Photo entries must be accompanied in a separate envelope by:
a. Taken in digital format, the corresponding Raw File (e.g. NEF, CRW, etc.) in CD format with the name of the photographer and the ID number on the CD and covering on the envelope.
b. If APS, the whole magnetic strip must be surrendered with the photographers name and ID number on the film case and on the envelope.
c. If analog, the corresponding negative/transparency in an envelope with the photographers name and ID number.
11. Entries must be candid shots; not deliberately posed. Although some degree of effort can be done in posing your subjects (the dancers, candle vendors, etc.) we however discourage photographers to bring their own models/talents like one would do on a photo assignment or photo shoot.
12. Identifying marks, signs and address to insinuate in formation of ownership is strictly prohibited on the photo assignment.
13. Judging of the Photo Contest will be on October 11, 2019.
14. Decision of the designated Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable.
15. Awarding of Prizes to the Winner will be on October 19, 2019 @ 3:00 P.M. at Danao City Mayor’s Office.
Rules of the Competition
- Each contest must have a minimum of ten (10) contestants in order to declare a valid contest. If entries are less than (10) that category will be declared “NO CONTEST” and prizes are reverted to the Committee.
- Photo must be taken from the actual events during the Karansa Festival 2019 celebration in Danao City. Pictures of any Karansa celebration or any other festival in other places and venues and in previous years will not be allowed and would be immediately disqualified.
- All entries must be submitted on or before September 27, 2019 with its duly accomplished forms. Photos taken in digital form must be accompanies with the propriety raw files (e.g. NEF, CRW, etc.) digital file in CD format. Film negative, APS magnetic files must be surrendered to Danao City Tourism Office. No attachment of these requirements would mean immediate disqualification.
- Any digital manipulation tool (e.g. cut &paste, healing, etc.) that is not applicable / doable in the printing process from an analog media (film), shall mean immediate disqualification of the entry. Post production like exposure control (dodge and burn); color saturation (control); creative cropping are all doable when you print from a negative. Even conversion to black and white color toning (sepia, blue, selenium, etc.) as long as it’s done across the frame and not only selected areas is acceptable.
- All photo entries and winning entries shall become the exclusive property of Danao City Tourism Office and cannot be reproduced nor printed for publication without the permission of the City. The photographer may not use the photographs or variants of the same composition in any other purpose except for his personal portfolio. Corresponding compensation shall also be accorded the owner of the photo of winning entries.
- The royalty of the photographer shall not apply every time in Danao City Government should use the photos in the promotion and management of the Karansa Festival. Other than that, Terms and Conditions of Intellectual Property Rights Law shall apply. Photographers will be given photo credits every time applicable.
- Judging of entries is scheduled on October 11, 2019. Winners will be inform through text in due time and with the date and venue of awarding of trophies and prizes.
- The decision of the Board of Judges is final and applicable.
Code of Ethics for Contest Participants
- Being a KARANSA photo contest participant does not extend any privileges as free entrance to any private event, nor does it entitle the photographer to any special VIP seating or placement.
- Proper decorum and behavior is required of all karansa photo contest participants. Please do not disrupt any ,as proceedings, processions, or other solemn events.
- During the Karansa Grand Street Parade on September 15, 2019, Karansa photo contest participants must wear their official ID’s in their neck lines and Official Shirt. ID’s must be visible at all time when photographer is within the Karansa dance route. Failure to wear the ID will result to immediate confiscation of the ID, immediate exit from the dance route and possible disqualification from the contest.
- Photographers who have assistants with them required to apply for an official Karansa photo contest ID for their assistants. One Karansa ID is good for 1 person. Registration fee for assistants is the same at P500.00.
- Karansa Photo contest photographers are not allowed to disrupt or interrupt the flow of the street dance.
- Registration fee will not be refunded to any Karansa photo contest participants whose ID’s have been confiscated.
For more particulars, please address your inquiry to Karansa Committee, located at Danao City Tourism Office, 2nd Floor, Danao City Health Building Telephone No. (032) 2669303.
There will be one (1) winner for each category. P10,000 cash and a trophy awaits the winners.
- Contingent Category
- Festival Queen Category
- Solemn Procession & Libud sa Kawo Category
- Sidelights Category
- Landscape Category