Dried and fresh dill leaves or sometimes called “dill weed” to distinguish it from dill seed are used as herbs, mainly in the Baltic, Sweden, in Russia, and in central Asia.
Dill seeds are used as a spice, with a flavor somewhat same to caraway; however it also resembles that of dried or fresh dill weed. Dill seeds were generally used to comfort the stomach after meals. Dill oil is extracted from the leaves, seeds and stems of the plant.
Uses of Dill
In Arabic, dill seed is usually called Ain Jaradeh, which means cricket eye and used as a spice in cold dishes like pickles and fattoush (a Lavantine bread salad).
In Vietnam, the dill is used in their regional cookings, specifically northern Vietnamese cuisine.
In Iran, dill is most commonly known as “Shevid” and is used with rice called “Shevid-Polo“.
In India, dill is prepared with yellow Moong dal as the main course dish. It is considered to have anti-gas properties, and it is used as Mukhwas or an after meal digestive. It is also given to mothers immediately after giving birth.
In Canada, dill is a favorite spice or herb they put in their poached salmon.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground veal
- 2 t salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 2 pcs eggs
- 1/3 cup onion; finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- For the Sauce
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh dill; chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix pork, beef and veal, pepper, salt, eggs, heavy cream and onions. With your moistened hands shape the mixture into balls. Roll the mixture balls in bread crumbs until well coated. Arrange in a single layer on a large shallow baking sheet.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a saucepan over low heat and slowly stir in the flour. Gradually add the chicken broth. Continue stirring until thickened and bubbly and then blend in the sour cream and fresh dill.
- Melt the remaining butter in another small saucepan, and drizzle over the meatballs. Bake the meatballs in the preheated oven 35 minutes, turning it occasionally, until browned.
- Place meatballs in a chafing dish and cover with the sauce before serving.