A Sloppy Joe is an American dish, which is composed of ground beef, sweetened tomato sauce or ketchup, onions and other seasonings that is served on a hamburger bun. Textured vegetable protein meat may be used as a vegetarian substitute for the meat. The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich was invented at Sloppy Joe’s Bar in Key West, Florida. Some say it was invented by a cook named Joe at a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa, as an alternative to the popular “loose meat” sandwich (which does not contain tomato sauce).
Town Hall Deli is known to be the birthplace of The Sloppy Joe Sandwich. And this is not the chopped meat on a bun that you had for lunch in the cafeteria that made you hate your lunch every Wednesdays. Sloppy Joes are worth waiting for — a truly perfect concoction of textures and tastes made with two meats of your choice, coleslaw, cheese, homemade Russian dressing, all neatly and precisely assembled between 3 layers of specially-baked light Pullman rye, first sliced the long way and then in eighths. A true work of art, each Sloppy Joe in Town Hall Deli can literally feed 2-3 people (or just you for two or three meals, if you do not want to share!), and is made to your specifications.
Joes, as it is popularly called, can be served on platters, or taken to-go wrapped and tied in a “cake box.” It can be enjoyed for parties, lunch, dinner, barbecues, appetizers and midnight snacks. Your kids will surely love these American-style sandwiches
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef sirloin
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 t steak seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Seasoning
- 1 pc onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 4 pcs crusty rolls, split, toasted, and lightly buttered
- Sliced ripe tomatoes and pickles
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add oil and meat to the pan. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up.
- Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning.
- Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet and mix well. When the meat has browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with meat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and paste to pan. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook Sloppy Joe mixture for another 5 minutes longer.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and cover with bun tops.
- Serve with your favourite sides or sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper, dill pickles and Devilled Potato Salad. Have plenty of napkins on hand!
This post was last updated on