What an excellent way to welcome summer season but with a well-prepared and healthy picnic with your loved ones! Well prepared means simple healthy bread, fruit and cheese or as sophisticated meal as chilled vichyssoise kept inside a thermos served with cold fried chicken.
Picnics can be a very private escapade for two on weekdays, just to relax after a hard day’s work or a bountiful feast for twenty on weekends. It can be done on the privacy of your own yard, on your veranda or just by spreading your very comfortable blanket on your living room with a very subtle ambience (just make sure to scatter some flowers you just picked outside your house for that outdoor feel). Picnic favors are always easy and fun to prepare; however, try skipping those traditional take-along foods like pork barbeque, fried chicken or all those finger foods that you always see in picnics. Try this new and well-traveled seafood picnic recipes that can practically go wherever you planned to picnic.
This kind of salad is excellent for travels and picnics. The great combination of vinegar and arugula, which is also called a rocket that is green in color with stems that looks like a dandelion greens. This does not easily wilt like lettuce, which is the usually ingredient of salads.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
- 3 pcs navel oranges
- 2 T seafood or shrimp seasoning
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp; peeled skin and deveined
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T vinegar
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- 4 oz arugula (rocket); trimmed
- Peel the oranges and take the flesh only.
- In a large pan, put the shrimp seasoning and let it boil with 6 cups of water.
- Add shrimp and simmer for just a couple of minutes until the shrimp turns opaque.
- Drain the shrimp. Set aside.
- Sprinkle vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper onto the orange fresh in a large mixing bowl.
- Add shrimp and arugula.
- Toss gently to coat every ingredient with the vinaigrette.
- Season according to taste, cover and keep it in the refrigerator until it is time to leave for picnic.
- Quick Tip to Peel Oranges
- Slice both ends of the orange just before the flesh. Put it upright on a stable cutting board and use a sharp knife to remove the skin by following the natural curve of the orange. In a large bowl hold the peeled orange in your hand and let the knife’s blade slide in between each section, slicing it from the membrane. Slice down your knife again on the other section and remove the flesh. Continue with the rest of the sections, leaving the membranes only.
- Quickies on the Go
- For a quick and spontaneous picnic plan, have a quick stop in your favorite grocery store and try to look and pick those simple seafood snacks. An addition of cheese, healthy bread and fruits can be a good idea for a quick meal.
- Always have a cooked and drained shrimps ready in your food list and buy those good quality jar of dipping and some lemons for squeezing over the shrimp. Have those country-style bread as edible plates and voila! You are set for a simple picnic for two.
- Spread some flour tortilla or a thin layer of your favorite cream cheese with a sprinkle of herbs like cilantro, dill or basil and cover the top with thinly sliced smoked salmon; roll, seal and go!
- Mix some sliced beets that were pickled with herring. Mix some chopped parsley and onion. Bring along your favorite Scandinavian-style hearth crackers.
- Picnic Savvy
- Ants were the number one nemesis of picnic venues before. Nowadays, it has been also an issue of food safety. How safe are your foods when you bring it in picnics? Nevertheless, do not worry for you do not have to bring just an apple and bread just to make sure your food is safe. Just by following the food handling safety tips, you can never go wrong.
- Time and temperature are the main perpetrator here; however, proper managing of the two aspects can keep your food safe. Foods rich in proteins like dairy products, eggs, seafood and meat must be your primary concern. These kind of foods can harbor millions of bacteria once it is left out for a long time. Do not let these foods out of the refrigerator for more than two hours.
- Keeping your food safe means, you value the health of your family as well. Have a safe and worry-free Picnic seafood theme anytime and anywhere you want!