Lumpia is very common in Asian cuisines. This spring roll of Chinese origin is made of thin crepe pastry skin called “lumpia wrapper” and a filling of your choice that is usually a combination of meat and vegetables. In the Philippines, lumpia is one of the most popular dishes found in any kind of gathering and celebration.
Since classes have started, both hands are usually tied from the workload that we don’t have the luxury of time to prepare our kids’ lunches that varies from the usual hotdog or ham.
Until recently, I have leared from a cooking show I regularly watch how easy it is to make lumpia from canned button mushrooms that you can easily buy from any grocery store. Since all we want is the best for our children without having to sacrifice taste and cost, mushrooms can be a very good protein replacement that your kids will surely enjoy. I assure you, they will never know the difference. It is as tasty as tasty could get.
Please check out our recipe below:
- 1/2 kilo ground pork
- 2 cans Jolly Mushrooms Pieces & Stems
- green onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- spring roll wrappers
- cooking oil
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp.
- Add diced pork and cook until lightly browned. Add fish sauce and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and bring to boil. Simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Add Jolly Mushrooms Pieces & Stems and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove vegetable mixture from heat and set aside.
- Prepare wrappers and separate them into individual sheets. Roll pork-mushroom mixture according to your desired size.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry spring rolls, turning once or twice, for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Serve immediately with your desired dip.
This post was last updated on