Creamy Chicken Halang-Halang
You may have heard of the term “halang” before, especially when you’ve been to any of the Visayan-speaking regions in the country. Halang-Halang, derived from the word meaning “spicy hot”, is a sought-after dish in the Visayas and Mindanao. It uses different types of chilies, such as siling espada or finger chili and siling labuyo or bird’s eye chili, as one of the main ingredients. It is a great dish that you can serve at home with no muss and no fuss, and it works well as pulutan, too!
Without further ado, here’s my very own rendition of the well-renowned Chicken Halang-Halang made creamy with Jolly Coconut Cream.
Category Easy Recipes
Personally, I rather would enjoy this dish more when paired with "bahaw".
- 6 pcs. chicken wings
- 1 can Jolly Coconut Cream (kakang gata)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 small chayote, wedged
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, minced
- 1 small ginger, minced
- 2 pcs (or more) finger chilies, chopped
- 3-5 pcs (or more) bird's eye chilies, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken wings into serving size pieces. Pour in soy sauce, toss and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté garlic, onion, ginger and chilies.
- Together with the marinade, add chicken to the pan and pour in half of the Jolly Coconut Cream.
- Add water. You may add more later depending on your desired consistency.
- Add the chayote wedges, cover pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until meat and veggies are tender.
- Add the remaining Coconut Cream and more chilies (for more buzz), and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until the desired creaminess is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
4 thoughts on “Creamy Chicken Halang-Halang”
WAAAAAH. Kalami. I love halanghalang so much! Patilawa nya mi aning imong halang-halang sir haha. Makagutom jud cya… <3
I’m half Bicolana, but I’m not fond of spicy foods. Ganahan ko ug halang-halang pero usahay ra. Hehe
AAAHHH. I am an absolute fan of halang2! And it’s chicken pajud, healthier kaysa pork Huhu. Nag crave na nuon koooooo
I still have Jolly Coconut Cream! Hahaha! I’m going to use this to cook that!
Comments are closed.