Buttered Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala is one well-known Indian food all over the world. Its gravy can be made as hot or as mild as you can, whichever suits your palate. Also commonly known as Murg Makhani, Buttered Chicken tastes great with Kaali Daal (black lentils), Naans and a green salad.
“Tikka” means to chunks or cutlets and “Masala” means a mixture of various spices, which can be a combination of spicy paste or dried spices. In this recipe, chicken fillets are used and marinated in a spicy yogurt mixture. After marinating, it will be grilled and simmered in a flavorful sauce. It is usually served with flat bread for mopping up the sauce and wiping the plate clean!
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][av_tab_container position=’top_tab’ boxed=’border_tabs’ initial=’1′]
[av_tab title=’Main Ingredients’ icon_select=’yes’ icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
- 1 kl chicken thigh fillet
- 1 T salt
- 1 t pepper
[av_tab title=’For the marinade’ icon_select=’yes’ icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1pc ginger, grated
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t red chili powder
- ½ t ground cardamom
- 1 t turmeric powder
- 1 t garam masala
- ¼ t ground cloves
- ½ t ground coriander seeds
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 pinch red-orange powder (optional)
- 1 t tahini (optional)
[av_tab title=’For the sauce’ icon_select=’yes’ icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
- 2 T oil
- 2 pcs onions, diced
- 2 T ginger; grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 pcs finger chilies, sliced thinly
- 1 ½ t turmeric powder
- ¼ cup cilantro roots and stalks, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce or 1 (450-gram) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 T fenugreek leaves
- 2 T sugar or honey
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedges
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- Rinse the chicken fillets, drain and pat it to dry. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients until it form into a paste.
- Pour the marinade paste over the chicken fillets and mix it well. Let it chill and sit for at 30 minutes or overnight, for best results.
- Grill the chicken until done.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté onions until it become translucent. Add the ginger and the garlic until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add the chilies, turmeric, and cilantro roots and stalks. Stir-fry the herbs for a minute. Then add tomato sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add fenugreek and sugar; mix it well. Stir in the grilled chicken and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in the yogurt and butter. Season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish with lemon and cilantro.
- Serve Chicken Tikka Masala immediately with flatbread or hot steaming rice.
This post was last updated on